Wednesday, March 21, 2012

High Schools Hate Wiki

Other than the class discussions, the only experiences that I can  recall are my high school English classes . Any time there was an assigned research project or essay my teachers made sure to point out that Wikipedia was not an accurate source. One of my AP teachers Mr. Jung would always rant about how anyone could alter articles, so the information we found could be invalid. I don't really remember a name, but there was one somewhat big news story of the student who created a fake article that many believed to be factual. It caused a lot of controversy as to whether we could all trust Wikipedia and definitely gave my teachers a lot to rant about. Mr. Jung wanted to make clear that we needed reliable sources that could be quoted from actual scientists or witnesses, not second hand accounts from random contributors. Still I think the real reason was Wikipedia was too easy to get info from and high school teachers wanted us to actually "look" for research. 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, my school also greatly discouraged the use of wikipedia, but we tech-savvy students would use wikipedia and cite the sources at the bottom. Good times. It's honestly a great resource because it's like a bunch of resources in a resource.

    ReplyDelete